Website National Housing Trust
At National Housing Trust, we equip communities for a sustainable, equitable future by preserving and modernizing existing homes—and building new homes that stand the test of time. Our team of passionate experts and advocates brings resident services, lending, policy, sustainability, and development under one roof, giving us the tools to make real change possible for the people we serve. We believe in the power of learning and creating with the communities around us. That’s why for over 30 years, we’ve partnered with residents, local experts, and national leaders to find the solutions that work. Because we want everyone—everywhere—to be proud of where they live.
NHT’s lending practice is made up of two Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI): the National Housing Trust Community Development Fund (NHTCDF) and the Institute for Community Economics (ICE). NHT Lending is committed to providing access to flexible financing for the preservation and creation of affordable housing around the country. Through our unique lending practice, capital is accessible to a broad range of borrowers including non-profit and for-profit owners and developers, Community Land Trusts, and limited-equity housing cooperatives. We offer a full array of loan products in the Washington metropolitan region and specific products in other markets nationwide.
We focus on expanding access to capital to underserved markets, including emerging and/or BIPOC developers and owners. We understand the role that housing plays in stabilizing individuals and families, most of who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color, and the role of systemic racism in our current housing crisis.
NHT seeks an individual with a passion for affordable housing finance to join our lending team as a Loan Officer. The position will be hybrid and based in our Washington DC office with frequent travel required.
This is an exciting opportunity to address the nation’s affordable housing need by originating, underwriting, and closing on predevelopment, acquisition, and longer-term financing for affordable housing projects. Projects will include both rental and homeownership (lending to developers). The Loan Officer will be a member of the origination team and will report to the Senior Director of Lending.
LOAN UNDERWRITING & ORIGINATIONS
The Loan Officer will evaluate the credit worthiness and capabilities of the borrower /guarantor and/or the real estate collateral securing the proposed loan. Analysis will include, but not be limited to, performing financial analyses, third party review assessments, site visits, and evaluating feasibility and likelihood of repayment sources. Specific activities include:
• Conducting thorough due diligence, review and evaluate various aspects of loan underwriting such as appraisal reviews, construction cost reviews, property condition reports, environmental reports, and site inspections.
• Producing financial analysis of both for- and non-profit sponsors and/or borrowers.
• Suggesting loan structure and terms and seeking approvals for loans.
• Overseeing the loan closing process by reviewing loan documents and/or due diligence items required to close loans.
You will also work on the closing and asset management of loans in cooperation with the Asset Management team. Specific activities include:
• Underwriting loan extensions and modifications
• Managing and approving borrower draw requests
Finally, you will help to increase the visibility of NHT’s CDFI Loan Funds through marketing, business development and product development, and will be expected to build new lending relationships.
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
This is a fantastic opportunity for an affordable housing finance champion with at least 4 years of experience in real estate or business lending, including credit analysis, and at least 3 years of experience working in affordable housing finance. Candidates will ideally have experience working at a CDFI. Other qualifications include:
• Commitment to NHT’s mission, including a deep dedication to assisting low income and BIPOC communities create and access opportunities to thrive;
• Proficiency in analyzing financials of nonprofit and for-profit organizations and real estate operations;
• Firm grasp on risk inherent in real estate development and/or financing;
• Knowledge of the Washington DC, Seattle and/or Nashville housing markets will be especially beneficial
• Experience in affordable homeownership a plus
• Familiarity with federal, state, and local government funding sources for capital and operating needs of affordable housing;
• Ability to travel on a frequent basis;
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communications skills, including both verbal and written skills;
• Ability to integrate thoroughness and attention to details with a big picture, strategic vision.
• Collaborative spirit and positive attitude (a good sense of humor is a plus);
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g. business, finance, real estate, urban planning) required. A graduate degree is preferred.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. The minimum, median, and maximum salary range for this position is $80,000, $106,600, and $133,300, respectively. The starting salary for this position is at Midpoint/Market.
Apply for the job below. No phone calls.
NHT is committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all our employment programs and decisions, including, but not limited to recruitment and hiring. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, genetic information, covered veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic under federal, state, or local law. BIPOC applicants, women, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
NHT requires that all employees maintain ‘Up to Date’ COVID-19 vaccination status, following the CDC guidelines, unless they are eligible for an accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice that prevents them from receiving the vaccine.
To apply for this job please visit nhtinc.bamboohr.com.