Website Housing Partnership Network
Location: Fully remote, moderate travel required including to corporate headquarters in Boston.
Reports to: President & CEO and is a key part of the executive leadership team of HPN that sets direction, strategy, and organizational culture for HPN and its affiliated companies.
The Executive Vice President for Capital Markets (EVP) is responsible for the Network’s overall capital markets activities. The EVP has responsibility for raising capital for HPN and its social enterprises, including grant, debt, and equity capital and for HPN’s CDFI, the Housing Partnership Fund, which provides financing to our members for their rental and single-family affordable housing developments.
The team reporting to the EVP consists of a VP for Innovation and Capital Solutions, a VP for Philanthropy, a VP of Investment and President of the CDFI and their respective staff. Future direct reports may include VPs and Managing Directors of to be formed Innovation Venture Fund and Housing Sustainability Fund. These two off-balance sheet funds will accelerate HPN’s capacity to invest in new and existing social enterprises and take advantage of the massive federal investment under the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund, respectively. HPN is a co-applicant for significant funding as part of the Justice Climate Fund’s application to the EPA (https://justiceclimatefund.org/) which is critical for the capitalization of the Housing Sustainability Fund.
While the EVP is actively involved in all capital raising efforts, the VP for Innovations and Capital Solutions raises equity and debt capital for HPN affiliated social enterprises, and the VP for Philanthropy leads our work to raise philanthropic capital for HPN and our affiliated companies. The EVP plays a lead role in exploring and designing innovative approaches and platforms for raising impact investment capital to scale the impact of our members and enterprises.
Leadership of Strategic Growth
- Participate as a key member of HPN’s executive team to devise strategy, set and drive culture, and provide management oversight to HPN and its affiliated companies.
- Work closely with the HPN board and the senior leaders of our member organizations to identify, shape and execute collaborative approaches for raising and deploying capital that furthers their business growth and mission impact and advances HPN strategic goals.
- Provide strategic direction and management oversight, including growth and expansion for on- and off-balance lending, for the Housing Partnership Fund (Fund) and Housing Partnership Ventures (Ventures), two consolidated lending affiliates that are led on a day- to-day basis by the VP for Investment/President of HPF.
- Lead and oversee the creation, capitalization and execution of at least two off-balance sheet funds: 1) Innovation Venture Fund, which will accelerate and amplify the creation of social enterprises and mobilizing of capital into new or existing ventures supporting the production, preservation and operation of affordable housing activities and business operation of HPN members; and 2) Housing Sustainability Fund, a vehicle to deploy private and public capital into the decarbonization of affordable housing.
- Oversee the design, strategy, implementation, and growth of HPN’s New Market Tax Credit investment program, which is managed by the VP for Lending and their staff.
- Serve as a strategic advisor and partner to the VP for Innovation and Capital Solutions to accelerate innovation across all areas of the network, develop new business initiatives, and expand existing social enterprises for the benefit of the members and the network in concert with the HPN business strategy and strategic framework.
Leadership of Team/Cross Team Collaboration
- Provide guidance to the VP for Innovation and Capital Solutions and VP for Investment on investor relations and development of the pipeline for potential investor targets for the capital needs of HPN, HPF, affiliated enterprises, and network members.
- Provide supervision and direction to the fundraising team, led by the VP for Philanthropy, with a particular focus on resourcing and developing new philanthropic relationships for HPN from private foundations, family offices, high tech-related philanthropies, health care institutions, and impact investors.
- In partnership with the EVP for Peer Exchange and Policy, lead the design, development and structuring of new capital markets initiatives.
- Oversee the budgeting, financial management, and profitability of the Capital Markets group, working in concert with the CFO to ensure its overall financial performance and contribution to the Network as a whole.
- Work with the Peer Exchange team and other HPN business line leaders to support peer to peer learning and collaboration among the members, with special focus on HPN’s CDFI members.
- Provide advice, counsel, and support to the HPN policy team and members regarding capital and finance related policy, legislative and regulatory matters of interest to HPN.
- Extensive experience and proven track record in raising philanthropic, debt and equity capital and overseeing business relationships, fund management and ventures with national financial institutions, foundations, and government.
- Deep knowledge and experience at a senior executive level in the field of community development; demonstrated commitment to tackling challenges of access to and attainment of affordable housing for all is preferred.
- Knowledge and relationships with the national impact investor marketplace strongly preferred.
- Familiarity and background in managing complex business lines and initiatives that involve a double bottom line of financial performance and mission impact.
- Successful experience working with major foundations to raise philanthropic capital, including both grants and program related investments, to support large scale, impactful initiatives.
- Experience leading and facilitating peer exchange and business collaboration among leaders of sophisticated nonprofit organizations, government agencies and private sector institutions.
- Expert-level written and oral communication skills and ability to publicly represent HPN at high profile events and meetings with major public, private and nonprofit partners.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, develop and empower senior professional staff in a remote workplace environment.
Leadership Style & Personal Characteristics:
- Highly mission-driven and self-directed professional.
- Executive presence: visionary leader who actively seeks out innovative approaches to capital raising.
- Entrepreneurial style, with enthusiasm for systems change work in a high-growth, fast- paced environment.
- Strategic thinker and innovator
- Brings a social impact and investment lens to capital raising and fund and programmatic development.
- Demonstrated experience working on teams where success depends on a high degree of collaboration in goal setting, decision-making and execution.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work cross functionally across all levels of the organization.
- Consensus builder who can cross reference and cross train.
- Relationship builder and comfortable in an externally facing role.
Graduate ‘s degree or equivalent years of education and experience.
- HPN offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits.
- Salary range is $300k-$350k.
If you or someone in your network is interested in exploring this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Partner, Bridge Partners
To apply for this job email your details to Janet.Albert@bridgepartnersllc.com